...currently...

Enjoying the chill in the air and dreaming up designs in velvet and wool.

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Her Great-Grandmother's Brooch



"The first decision I made in planning my wedding was that I wanted Bekah to make my wedding dress. After seeing her beautiful work on a friend's wedding gown, I knew that I wanted to work with her to create my own, uniquely me garment..."



(Click on the photos for high-quality images and zoom!)







Bekah went with me to try on gowns at a bridal shop downtown and took note of elements I liked about each dress. We determined which silhouette best flattered my shape and then she presented me with a few sketches of dress ideas. When we decided to incorporate an antique broach from my great grandmother, Bekah tracked down (in England!) buttons in the same pewter color and a similar filigreed pattern and worked with a jeweler to design complementary pieces for the dress and my wedding jewelry. The result was a beautiful set of wedding jewelry that perfectly matched the broach and embellishments on my dress.




We had three or four fitting sessions which gave me the opportunity to make small changes along the way--adjusting the neckline, etc. Throughout the process Bekah was incredibly flexible and focused on creating the dress I saw in my head. She was very detail-oriented and full of ideas, but stayed on-task and completed my dress early.




I got so many compliments on my wedding dress; many told me it was the most beautiful and unique gown they had ever seen. Even my mother, who was skeptical about the cost-effectiveness and viability of having my wedding dress made during my short, four-month engagement, was completely thrilled.



Bekah also made custom dresses for five of my bridesmaids, pocket squares for the groomsmen, our ring bearer's pillow and an ascot for my husband. Every item, down to the pocket squares, was finished beautifully. I chose two dress styles for my bridesmaids dresses--one from an existing pattern and one from a pattern which Bekah created for me using elements from two different dresses that I liked. I wasn't overly concerned with choosing bridesmaids dresses that would be worn again--it's hard to find a pattern that will flatter an entire wedding party--but each of my bridesmaids have told me that they can't wait to wear their dress again; many already have! The attention to fit and proportion that Bekah gave each dress made them beautiful and flattering on each girl.

Pockets for everybody! SO USEFUL when you don't want to carry a purse.




I can't wait to work with Bekah again. Her rates are very reasonable for such high-quality garments and going through this process with her was incredibly fun. I couldn't be more happy with the results and plan to commission more from her this summer.

~ C.M., Chattanooga, TN






All photos in this post are property of Red Leaf Photography. Used with permission.


(Thanks, Emily, for the photos, and Catie, for your lovely write-up of our experience!)

0 comments:

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP